WHO WE ARE: History/Mission
Established in 1973 by a group of art supporters interested in growing and enriching the arts in Groton, The Groton Center for the Arts (GCA) played an important role in bringing the arts to lives of many. Today as 3Rivers Arts, we are continuing to build on the fine cornerstones left for us by the founders and early volunteers.
- Our early successes included Septemberfest, now Grotonfest, a blockbuster event each fall in Groton center.
- Indian Hill Music, which began as an amateur organization sponsored by the GCA, now boasts tremendous success in music, education and performance.
- Our summer camp serves 200 children every summer.
Today as 3Rivers Arts, the legacy of the GCA endures. We have launched programs that promote artists and the creative arts throughout the region. Our new focus includes:
- Community Arts Engagement Programs (Education and Events): Offering diverse programs that provide a rich array of opportunities for learning and self-expression; reaching out to the region with our events, and building creative partnerships.
- Artists Collaborative: Providing local artists with many and varied opportunities for their work to be seen and heard.
- Creative Economy Initiative: Embracing the creative sector as a vibrant, economic engine for the region. The arts are the heartbeat of many communities, and when it comes to reviving downtown centers, increasing tourism and generating jobs, there are few motors as powerful as the arts.